My Journey into Becoming a Newly Qualified Paramedic (Part 4) - Local Area Induction

Here is my story documenting from my last submission of my degree into becoming a baby paramedic. This series will include getting my degree, trust and local area inductions, driver training and more! It has been covid-fied (as expected) but not too much has changed, as the ambulance service has had to keep running pretty much the same throughout the pandemic.


Generic Admin Stuff

At half nine on Monday morning I went into station for my local area induction with another girl who was on my trust induction and who I went to uni with. We went and sat in the new covid-fied station (distanced chairs and lots of signs and info sheets on the walls) and waited for the LOM (locality operations manager? I think? AKA a manager) to come and get us. After we sorted a coffee, we went into one of the meeting rooms so start our induction. We went through the normal induction stuff, which includes stations and contact numbers within the area, how to report sickness, accessing rostered shifts and submitting timesheets and some local area protocols. We sorted our payroll number and therefore rostering access which the training school had been unsuccessful when trying to access. They checked our address and contact information too (which always seems to be wrong even though I have corrected it so many times!). We talked about some specifically paramedic things, such as accessing the drugs cupboard and morphine, including a new drug signing out procedure which has been introduced in my trust. We discussed the fact we would need to sign an exemption for some drugs, such as TXA. They also looked at my driving license and took a photocopy. Finally we ordered uniform and I was told that we should always have two pairs of boots because we should alternate pairs each day to allow them to dry properly - fun fact! 

At this point we would have done our fit training for the FFP3 respirators, however both of us have already been fitted which is great because the training for this is so tedious! I have done the testing at least three times, possibly more, and I really hate it. Not for any reason other than I do not like the attention being on me for so long. Once we had done all we logged onto the computers to ensure we could access our emails and set up My ESR (where you can access your payslips electronically). As we both knew the area quite well, the LOM did not drive us to each station to show us around as we had been to most stations anyway. What I would suggest to you if you are in a similar position, whilst you are a student or new, ensure you know where the stores, vehicle keys (and morphine stores if applicable) are because there is nothing more stressful then trying to find them when you are at the start of your shift!!

Location and Extra Payments

My area has two main hubs, due to staffing levels I am based at the main hub further way from where I live, however because my admin staff know where I live, they try to base me closer to home. Although I am based at a hub, I am on a relief contract which means I can work out of any station in my area. I cannot be placed and work out of area unless it is agreed or it is overtime. I do not get paid mileage up to my base station, however any distance I have to travel past my base station I get paid mileage at approx 50p per mile. My current travel time to my base station is 45 mins, but my travel times across my area vary from 18 minutes (yes I drive it so much I am that precise!) to 50 minutes. This is a huge improvement compared to my two hour drive each way on placement (which should be illegal - I am SO against this do not even get me started) and I am so thankful that so far my admin team and LOMs do their best to place me closer to home.

We also receive different kinds of payments. Basic salary can be found on the NHS jobs page - generally Band 3 are ECAs/ECSWs, Band 4 are EMTs, Band 5 are NQP and Band 6 are Paramedics who are more than two years in or who have fast tracked (this is for my area, I understand that this completely depends on area - for example I believe London Ambulance service equivalent EMTs are Band 5 and all Paramedics are Band 6 but I could be wrong!). We get set payments for late or missed meal break (£20), out of area meal break (£5), interrupted meal break (£20) and short notice shift change (£15). 

Due to the new agenda for change, we get different pay at different times of the day and week. Below is taken from NHS Employers (click to view the original source - do not @ me for referencing lol my uni days are long behind me for the time being!!). Just in case you cannot see the image, Band 4 to 9 (lol Band 9 pay I wish!) get 30% extra for nights between 8pm and 6am and on Saturdays and Band 3 get an extra 36% in this time period. On Sundays and Bank Holidays, Band 4-9 get an extra 60% and Band 3 get 72%. For this reason, I always try to do any weekend overtime on a Sunday. If I want to spend the weekend doing stuff but want the Sunday payment I will try to do a Sunday night shift with either a) lots of caffeine or b) a quick nap before my shift or c) both a and b, so I get the most of the weekend and the good payments. It is also a bit more chill on a sunday night - but please NEVER say the Q word to me because yes I do believe it is a jinx. 


Finally for important stuff you should know about money - when you book overtime you can book set hours (depending on how desperate the trust is for cover) or just book an early finish. Now, I would never pressure anyone into this BUT if your crewmate books an early finish, this is great because usually you get back to station on time for the end of your shift. This is done because it makes it more likely that you will finish by the original shift finish time (and often your crewmate will love you). Some places and people do 30 mins, some do an hour - you do you!


Anyway, I hope this answers any questions you had or never had about inductions, local areas and money! Now you will understand why your mentor and crewmate want to drag the start of lunchbreak out so much - spoiler alert: it is not just because it makes the day go quicker (although very true) but also because they get some dolla for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In My Paramedic Uniform

Paramedic Science Interview Question Examples Part 1

My first week as a Student Paramedic